TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Before troubleshooting
- Power meter check
- StagesBike check
- StagesBike power data is not showing on the Stages Cycling app device data manager page.
- StagesBike power data does not show up in Zwift or other applications.
The StagesBike receives power data from the left and right power meters installed on the cranks using a wireless connection. This article will walk you through how to make sure the power meters are working properly and check that the StagesBike is programmed correctly.
Check that both of your power meters are awake and transmitting data, then make sure your StagesBike is configured correctly so it can connect to them. Ensure that the power meters are not paired to the StagesBike via Bluetooth prior to the next step.
Power meter check
Make sure your power meters are functioning as expected using the steps below:
- Check to make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone.
- Open the Stages Cycling app to the Devices page.
- Select Add Device, then select the Power meter option.
- Spin the crank arms several times to wake up the power meters.
- The two signals should populate. Select one and connect.
- Once connected, select Advanced.
- Scroll to the bottom where it displays the Crank position and Bike type. Confirm that the Crank position is set correctly as Left or Right. Confirm that the Bike type is set to SMART.
- Repeat the process for the other power meter after you confirm the Crank position and Bike type for the first power meter.
- If your Crank position is not correct or if your Bike type is not set to SMART, submit a new support ticket.
- If the Crank position and Bike type are correct, your power meters are functioning as expected. Move on to the StagesBike check section.
Power meters do not appear in the search list
If your power meters do not show as a device to connect within the Add Devices section, it's possible the power meters have a dead battery or need to be reset, please follow these steps:
- Remove the battery from each power meter for 5 seconds.
- For instructions on how to do this, see removing the pull tab. Remember to remove the battery for 5 seconds before replacing the battery door.
- Use the Stages Cycling app to check for the power meters once more (see Power meter check above).
- If the power meters still do not show up in the Stages Cycling app, it is likely the batteries are dead and need to be replaced.
- If new batteries do not resolve the issue, remove them again. This time, use the edge of the battery to connect the power meter's terminals for a few seconds, then install them correctly to reset the power meter.
- Use the Stages Cycling app to search for the power meters again.
- If discoverable, connect to them and perform a zero-reset.
- If it is still not discoverable or does not resolve your issue, please submit a new ticket.
Make sure the correct power meters are programmed into your StagesBike.
Pair to StagesBike in the Stages Cycling app
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled in your phone settings.
- Open the Stages Cycling app.
- Navigate to the Devices page. Select the StagesBike that you want to pair to:
- If the StagesBike is not in the list of devices, select the Add Device option in the bottom right corner to search for new devices and follow the steps below to pair to the bike
a. Select StagesBike.
b. Select the bike from the list.
c. The app will check and update firmware if needed.
d. Create a setup.
- Make sure the StagesBike is connected:
- Disconnected (control page greyed out)
- Connected (control page functioning)
- Disconnected (control page greyed out)
Do a quick test. After the Stages Cycling app connects to the StagesBike (as pictured above), get on the StagesBike and start pedaling.
- Pedal for about a minute. You do not need to add resistance but can use the shift buttons if you would like. Look for power data to appear on the control page; even soft-pedaling should show power.
- If you see power now, the issue is resolved. The problem was with your power meters and was fixed in the Power meter check section.
If you do not see power in the previous test, follow these steps to configure the left and right power meters programmed to the bike.
Configure StagesBike power meters
- Tap the Power Meters tab.
- Select the power meters and an ANT ID overlay will appear where you can manually insert the power meter's ANT ID:
- Verify that the ANT ID for both the left and right power meters match the ANT IDs of the power meters on your StagesBike. The ANT ID is a 5-digit number that can be found on the back of the crank arm and looks like this:
- If these ANT IDs match and the Power meter check section was completed correctly, the StagesBike will automatically find the power meters as long as they are not connected to anything via Bluetooth.
- Make sure there are no existing Bluetooth connections to the power meters.
- Power cycle the bike (remove the power connection from the bike, not the wall, to ensure a proper power cycle―the power brick takes time to discharge) and pedal it for 1 minute after the power cycle.
- If no power displays, please continue to the next section.
- If these ANT IDs do not match, tap Change left power meter or Change right power meter to update the power meters paired to the device and follow the instructions.
No power is displayed in the Stages Cycling app control page after all checks
This means the power meters likely need to be paired to the StagesBike again. Please follow the steps in Pair replacement power meter to StagesBike SB20.